Monday, November 3, 2008

Halfway Through

I’ve obviously fallen behind with my blog, so stay tuned for a fall break guest post from my parents. We just spent a great week seeing the sights and getting fat in Rome, Florence, and the Tuscan countryside, but I’ll let them tell you about it. I’ll also try to get some more pictures online soon. My internet connection’s pretty bad (it took me forever just to get this post up) and I’ve taken more than 700 pictures in the last two and a half weeks, so it could take a while.

Now that my parents are gone I’m starting to get homesick. I think it’s a phase that will pass soon and I’m sure it has also something to do with the fact that I’m trying to register for classes and get an internship and work out my living situation and follow the elections, all from Italy. Being with my parents also reminded me of a lot of things I love about home. I’m getting tired of little things like not being able to wear sweatshirts, paying to sit down everywhere, feeling lost and clueless about simple things like where to buy super glue, and basically feeling like dumb American tourist almost all the time. It’s the second stage of culture-shock. I thought I had skipped right from euphoria to integration, but I guess there are defined stages for a reason! Luckily, even though I'm feeling slightly anti-Italy, there are still so many things I love about it. Just looking out my window at the crowd of people ooohing and aahing helps me realize that I'll be able to find superglue and that paying an extra euro to sit down really isn't that bad.


[Edit: Sorry for the grumpy post. After two art classes, seeing and talking to my friends, and walking around Florence I realized I'm dumb and I love Italy.]

No comments: